Concert Calendar

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Burn Burn Burn - This Machine



Burn Burn Burn is a beloved Seattle punk band that I have had the pleasure of seeing and, in my Kill Shot days, playing with on many raucous occasions. Their stage presence rivals some of the greatest bands I've ever seen. I remember the Adicts exploding on stage at Punk Rock Bowling a couple years ago, and the feeling I had in my gut was almost exactly the same as the feeling I had the first time I watched Burn tear up the back room of Olympia's Le Voyeur. These guys may be fucking drunks, but the self-proclaimed Seattle Alcoholics sure do know how to hit ever note in the face, with Bruce Lee like precision. At the end of the "Life is Tight" tour, they made another stop in Oly, and killed every song. Needless to say, I had high hopes for this album.

From the opening snare hits, this EP speaks to my youth, my attachment to the concept of youth, and my discomfort with all things serious and frivolous. I get overwhelmed with thoughts of beers in the back of my friend's car, on the way to see some Seattle show. The experience of stale farts, spilled beer and accidental cigarette burns was always followed by the most glorious of slam-dancing, and a bruised and boozed night in a hotel room. That's what 'This Machine' is to me.

Everything I loved about punk rock back in those days is on this album. I thought it had been lost. That the melodies would never be as passionate, or that the albums would always be too produced. I found it in this EP though. In 2013! Can you believe it?

The song, 'My Friends,' points out that your buddies are really what matters, even when your lady decides you're too immature. 'Aim For the Drain' glorifies the life style, and alludes to the life saving comradery and self-satisfaction that come with being in a band.  'Bastard Church' cuts down the Westboro Baptist Church and gives you your angst fix. It all gets tied up with 'Tall Tales/ Entrails' which is a hyper, passionate song against the existence of Hell, and the brainwashing done by Christianity (I think.)

The album flows amazingly. The songs are true to life, while not sounding like an amateur closet recording. The label that picked it up is the real deal. If you haven't already, get your hands on copy and never let go.

I give it a 5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment